Regions:  

 

Milky Way from the Noudar Castle

By: Miguel Claro

 

Region: Europe

Site: Alqueva - Portugal

Date: 2014 October 21

The Castle of Noudar and the church of Nossa Senhora do Desterro is located between the Múrtega and the Ardila rivers which flow towards the West. Its construction was finished in 1307, during the reign of Don Dinis. The place was chosen because of its natural defenses, easy access and the closeness of a water spring of excellent quality – Fonte da Figueira, located roughly 250 meters to the East of the castle, under the hilltop known as Forca (“the Gallows”). Good and plentiful farming land and cattle grazing fields can also be found near the castle. This medieval fortress was very important for border defense against the kingdom of Castile during the early 14th Century.

All TWAN photos and videos are copyrighted

Share this page:  twanight.org?id=3005073

(0)

 

 

Home  |  Galleries  |  About TWAN  |  Contact Us  |  Photo Policy