From the photographer: "The Palazzo dei Papi is the most important monument of the city of Viterbo and has become its symbol. It was built on the occasion of the transfer of the seat of the papal Curia in 1257 commissioned by Pope Alexander IV. This monument was born from the expansion of the seat of the bishop's Curia arranged and edited by Raniero Gatti, who also built a large hall for the audiences, now known as the Hall of the Conclave for hosting the first and longest conclave of history.
Another characteristic part of the Palazzo dei Papi is the Loggia of the Blessings (better known as the Loggia dei Papi) erected in 1267: from it the Pope appeared out of the Sala del Conclave. From 27 December 2014, the beautiful Gualterio room has been re-opened for the first time. The room, entirely frescoed and characterized in particular by the presence of the coat of arms of Pope Clement VIII (1592-1605), is the result of the works decided by Bishop Sebastiano Gualterio of Orvieto (1551-1566) who wanted to expand his Curia readjusting the two ancient rooms next to the Conclave chamber, equipping the servants' salon with a coffered ceiling in the middle of which he placed his coat of arms and having his name carved on the architraves of the four doors.
At the beginning of the seventeenth century, further modifications were made made by Cardinal Tiberio Muti, bishop of the city of Viterbo in the years 1612-1636; to him we must further enlarge the Palace, with the opening of two new doors in the hall and with the insertion of his coat of arms on the architraves of these doors and in the frescoes."
All TWAN photos and videos are copyrighted.
Palazzo dei Papi |